- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Short Rib Ragout


Making a meat sauce out of short ribs is a breaking new ground for me. I was a little hesitant because I love short ribs just as they are. But this recipe from Fine Cooking issue #77 got great reviews so I decided to give it a try. Basically, short ribs are browned and then simmered in a vegetable-enriched tomato sauce until very tender. Then the meat is removed from the bones, all the fat trimmed and the meat is shredded and added back to the de-fatted sauce. It turned out great. The meat was a pleasure to eat because all the work had been done. The sauce was delicious. I served the ragout tossed with Ziti. But it would also be nice on top of a cheesy polenta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Today show had featured a recipe for gnocchi and then placed those in a short rib ragout. It looked delicious. And what a great and different way to get your meat and potatoes!

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-