- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Monday, July 17, 2006

Sour Cherry Time



I go to the Evanston Farmer's market each week looking for the season's best. My favorite time at the market is the 3 weeks or so when the sour cherries are available. Sour cherries are not sold in regular grocery stores. They are too delicate and perishable to be handled by the big supermarkets. The bright red cherries are a little soft, not hard like a good Bing cherry. They will need to be stemmed and pitted before you make a pie. It is truly a labor of love. And love it is when you have a forkful of the sweet-tart cherry pie. The recipe I use is a classic version from Fine Cooking #65. It is written as a lattice-pie. While I enjoy the look of lattice, in the end it is less crust than a double-crust. We prefer more crust, so I just do a regular top.

These cherries freeze well. So after you pit them, you can freeze them for an out of season pie.

No comments:

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-