- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sweet corn soup


I've never tasted a corn soup that I like more than Rick Bayless' Crema de Elote. There are chowders with corn and potatoes that are definitely good. But this soup is the essence of sweet corn. The ingredients are only: half an onion, some garlic, fresh corn, scraped from the cob, and milk. Only the occasional bite of diced, roasted poblano chiles breaks up the creaminess. It is the perfect contrast of tastes.

By the way, there is very little cream in this bowl of soup. The recipe calls for a whole cup of heavy cream added at the end; but I add only a shot of half and half.

Today, I've made this soup with white corn, so it is hard to tell what kind of soup it is.

There are a great many garnishing possibilities, like grilled shrimp fried tortilla strips or simply chopped cilantro. This time I used one of Rick Bayless' suggestions and topped it with queso fresco, a fresh mexican crumbling cheese. Steve likes a dusting of cayenne pepper on the top of his. This recipe is from Bayless' first book, Authentic Mexican.

This soup would make a great dinner paired with a salad of greens, tomatoes and avocado.

3 comments:

Erielle said...

I loooooooooove corn soup! And I looooooooove Rick Bayless' recipes. Once my friend almost goosed him when he walked by her table at his restaurant.
The only thing I don't enjoy about making fresh corn soup/chowder is cutting off the kernels from the cob. On TV I saw a man turn a bundt pan upside down, rest the cob in the hole, and then all the cut kernels fell into the cake pan while the cob was secure.
One more reason to invest in a bundt pan.

Toni said...

I could see how your friend might be tempted by his little behind.

Scraping corn does make a mess. I use a wide shallow bowl and a boning knife but still there will be kernals on the floor. For some reason, it impresses ppl. that find out you removed the corn from the cob, like it was delicate surgery.

Anonymous said...

Hi Toni --

This corn soup sounds delicious! I'd love the recipe!!! Please send it to am98101@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Al

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-