- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Skin Deep


My love affair with plantains started at Frontera Grill. I had them just as they are here, sauteed in a little butter until brown on both sides, dolloped with crema and sprinkled with queso fresco. Think of the dish almost as potatoes browned in butter served with sour cream. But there is a gentle sweet banana flavor. They're so good. I can't go to Frontera without ordering them as a side dish. It is hard to fine plantains that are as ripe as you need them to be. So buy some yellowish ones with just the beginnings of black and let them sit on your counter until they are completely pitch black - then they are ready for some loving.

You might notice, I'm a little more generous with the crema and queso fresco than they are at Frontera.

Butter-Fried Plantains with Thick Cream: adapted from Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican

Mexican Crema or sour cream thinned with heavy cream
Queso fresco- mexican fresh cheese, like farmer's cheese. crumbled.
3 med, very ripe plantains, you need really black ripe plantains for this recipe
unsalted butter

Peel the plantains and slice on the diagonal into 1/4 inch thick ovals.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Arrange the plantains in a single layer in the pan. Fry until deep golden brown, 3-5 minutes per side. If necessary, do in two batches, keeping the first batch warm in a low oven. Transfer to warm serving plate.

Garnish with cream and crumbled cheese, serve.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh -- I thought I commented on these last time I was here, but I guess not. I LOVE PLANTAINS TOO! Can't remember where I first had them, maybe when I lived in the Caribbean (Peace Corps), but man are they good! Especially like you have them there, all crispy on the outside, mmm. I've never had them with this divine-looking crema, though. That is a must-try. Although unfortunately my husband detests anything remembling a banana, so I'll be on my own.

Cynthia said...

I love plantains and I live in the Caribbean! Generally we don't dress them up as fancy as you did but we have a variety of ways of preparing them. Grilled, fried, boiled, steamed.
Have you ever tried green plantains? They make really good chips and can be used just as you would potatoes. My favourite way to have them is boiled, cut into chunks and then sauteed with onions, tomatoes and herbs.

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-