- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, Julia

Although Julia Child has moved on to that big kitchen in the sky, there is still good reason to remember her birthday. I thank Julia for making me appreciate the art of cooking and what could be learned about other cultures through food. As a child, I loved to watch her television show, often preferring to see her carve a chicken or make bouillabaise over watching Saturday morning cartoons. Julia using a cleaver to chop the heads off fish was way more interesting than watching "Captain Caveman." So in honor of Julia's birthday today, I plan to cook one of her recipes for dinner or dessert. What am I making? I'm about to go to my cookbooks and determine that. My blogger friend, Lisa at Champagne Taste, has put together a lovely tribute to Ms. Julia, please have a look. Bon Appetit!

I ended up making Blueberry Nectarine Pie from Baking with Julia. This is great baking book that is completely out of my league. Beside this pie, I pretty much just look at the pictures. But the pie turned out nicely this time, better than a recent effort on vacation where I tossed in some blackberries (seeds = bad). I added 1 T more cornstarch for thicker juices and properly measured the fruit instead of just winging it, as I am known to do.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mashed potatoes! "If you're afraid of butter, use cream." One of my favorite Julia quotes and she would be so proud. Bon Appetit!

Lisa said...

Hey, wait a minute! Did you send me a link to this post and I missed it?!?! So sorry, if that's the case. This is wonderful, and thank you for taking part. I'll add your post now.

Lisa said...

Hey Toni: I've rectified the situation—you're in the round-up! Thanks for taking part, and I wish I had a large slice of that pie right now.

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-