- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Spicy Orange Shrimp


A fiery orange sauce is great on a stir-fry, especially with shrimp. My favorite recipe is adapted from a Fine Cooking (#58) article on stir-frying. The only thing I changed was to add a large dollop of chile paste with garlic to make it a little hot. And also, to make the orange more orangey, I love to add a whopping tablespoon of this orange sauce from Trader Joe's. I use this instead of orange zest. It really brings a great flavor to the sauce.

For the stir-fry above, I used bok choy and shiitake mushrooms. It really could have used some red bell pepper. I like those with the orange flavors. But of course you can use any veggies you want. The article on stir-fries is long and I can't type out the whole thing. But I'm including the sauce recipe in case you want to try it in your own stir-fry efforts. I was also thinking you could add actual thin sliced oranges to the stir-fry. They would take on a candied flavor with the glazey orange sauce and the heat. I might have to try that.
=For the sauce recipe below: In a measuring cup, combine the cornstarch with the second ingredient in the list, whisking to blend. Then whisk in the remaining ingredients.

Cantonese Orange Sauce (yields ½ cup)

1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons soy sauce
¼ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 ½ teaspoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (optional)
Orange zest, grated (optional) or some Trader Joes Mandarin Orange sauce

No comments:

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-