- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Shanghai Stir-fried Beef and Broccoli


Stir-frying beef is not one of my favorite things to do, I just enjoy chicken or shrimp more. However, this Fine Cooking (63) recipe had a certain appeal (i.e. I had everything to make it without going to the store.) So I decided to give it a try, but with a New York Strip instead. The recipe calls for flank steak. As thin as I slice it, flank steak always comes out on the chewy side when I stir-fry. But the very thinly sliced strip steak came out nice and tender, and very flavorful. It is a good way to use just a plain, not very thick, (from your basic supermarket) steak, not a great one. Save that for the grill. Take your time, use a sharp knife and slice thinly because meat tightens up and thickens as it cooks. (Hear the word of the butcher's daughter!) Also, as the recipe instructs, pull the steak out before it is entirely cooked through. The strip steak I used was about 8 ounces (and the recipe calls for more than double that amount of meat,) but I didn't want to reduce the sauce ingredients because I was afraid it would be too dry. This amount of steak served two very nicely. (You'll also notice I used bok choy and red peppers instead of broccoli.) The sauce here is really tasty. We liked this dish so much that I made it again the following week with the broccoli (and peppers.) Watch the salt though, especially if you are playing around with amounts and not using 1 1/2 pounds of meat. I don't think you need the salt in the marinade, soy sauce is enough.


Shanghai Stir-Fried Beef & Broccoli


by Tony Rosenfeld

Serves four.

1 small flank steak (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb.)
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. dry sherry
1 Tbs. cornstarch
Kosher salt
3/4 lb. broccoli crowns, cut into 2-inch florets (to yield about 4 heaping cups)
1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1/4 tsp. red chile flakes
2 Tbs. oyster sauce

Bring 2 quarts water with 2 tsp. kosher salt to a boil.
Slice the steak in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into thin slices. In a medium bowl, stir 1 Tbs. of the soy sauce with the sherry, cornstarch, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the steak, toss to coat, and let sit for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli in the boiling water until it softens to a tender crunch, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and then rinse under cold water until the broccoli cools.

Set a large, heavy skillet or a large wok over high heat for 1 minute.

Pour in 2 Tbs. of the oil and, when it starts to shimmer, add the beef. Cook the beef, stirring frequently, until it loses most but not all of its raw color, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.

Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil and the garlic, ginger, chile flakes, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and 3 Tbs. water and cook, stirring to incorporate any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the broccoli warms through, about 1 minute. Stir in the beef, the oyster sauce, and the remaining 2 Tbs. soy sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Serve immediately.

From Fine Cooking 63, pp. 86c

4 comments:

Amy said...

I had that issue out this week. I should make that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Toni, That looks really good! It's the perfect dish for me right now and I am going to make this asap. I am cutting the carbs for the next well... that's to be determined. The vegtables along with the meat/seafood and sauces makes it a delicious meal and you don't even miss the carbs.

Toni said...

Yeah, but Teri - you have to have a little rice to soak up the sauce. I like Trader Joe's frozen brown rice. I just nuke a small amount for the two of us.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll try that. That way even if I don't eat the rice Jim can. I'll let you now it turns out. I'm thinking I'll make it on Sunday.

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-