- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Friday, March 26, 2010

The Artichoke

When I happen to find myself cooking for only myself and it happens to be spring, I turn to the artichoke. A vegetable that my husband may not hold in high regard but I adore. I think he's making a mistake because the artichoke is a very nutrient dense food, high in fiber, folate and all kinds of essential minerals. They also contain a compound good for the liver. Which you know, he might benefit from, I'm just sayin'.


So tonight I pared and I peeled, de-choked and steamed. I toasted some fresh breadcrumbs, added some parmesan cheese and the cooked diced artichoke stems, moistened it all with garlicky butter and seasoned it well. And I would have added some chopped parsley had I had some. Then each of the chokes was given a healthy covering of crumbs and sprinkled with olive oil. Into a hot (425) oven they went until the crumbs began to brown. Then I ran them under the broiler to finish the browning up fast. Keep an eye on them or in a flash all your hard work will be burnt.



I like to eat them with lemon and Tabasco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all love artichokes. I stuff them in season, with parm, breadcrumbs, garlic, black pepper and TONS of chopped parsley. Food of the gods.

Out of season, have you tried Trader Joe's frozen artichoke hearts? Simply the best around and I saute with garlic for a vegetable or add to dishes like arroz con pollo instead of peas. Yum.
Marcia

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-