- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Clean Eating since January

Since the beginning of the year I've really been working on cleaning up my eating.  I haven't worried about calories at all.  I've have just been focusing on eating all the really healthy stuff every day and staying away from meat as much as possible.  It hasn't changed my mornings at all but I've had to tune up my lunches and not rely so much on the basic turkey sandwich.

Dinner has been exciting!  I enjoy the parameters of having to feed us without meat.  It makes it interesting for me.  It's easy to cook a chicken breast, stuff it with goat cheese and make it taste good.  It's a lot harder to do that with beans, green and vegetables.  But I embrace the challenge because it is how I want to eat.  I thought I'd just share some of the stuff I've been up to.


This is Fine Cooking's Wild Mushroom Soup. It was just ok.  I found the sherry to be too strong and the flavors really bold.  I have to say next time I'd try a different recipe.


Here's a little sneaky snack that I like to make. Normally I wouldn't use a store-bought salad dressing but this asian peanut one from Brianna's is really good. Having it in the fridge enables me to throw together this little snack at the drop of the hat (which is how I need to be able to eat lunch.) I use store bought bagged shredded cabbage or slaw mix or broccoli slaw or whatever you like. I add to it some slivered red bell pepper if I have it (I usually do but unfortunately not for this picture.) I add some cilantro and a handful of peanuts with a LITTLE BIT of dressing and toss like a crazy person to get it all coated. Voila! You've got instant asian salad. It's very healthy and satisfying. And there's not limits to the things you could throw in. Sugar snap peas, edamame...


Here's another staple of my life, stuff spread on toast. I like guac and hummus of all flavors. I like to top with greens and sometimes halved cherry tomatoes. Here it is with hummus and pickled peppers. Yum!


Next up, my veggie chili. I may come back and type out the recipe for this. I think it comes out good. It's easy and makes a small batch. The secret is really good chili pepper from Penzey's


Here's my smoothie makings in action. Banana, strawberries, wild blue berries, kale, soy protein, flax seed, chia seeds, psyllium husk, almond milk and let her rip.


It looks like this when you're done. So good and satisfying.

Well, I hope this post wasn't too indulgent. I enjoy sharing what I make. And I am working every day toward eating cleaner.

No comments:

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-