- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Monday, February 26, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuits


Making buttermilk biscuits for my son, Sam, is a simple pleasure. It makes me happy that I can sort of spoil him by giving him homemade biscuits. Once you start having them from scratch, you just can't go back to the vacuum tube. I hope when he gets older he'll remember sitting in our yellow kitchen eating warm homemade biscuits.

Buttermilk Biscuits from Joy of Cooking

Position rack in center of oven, Preheat oven to 450*. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

In a large bowl, mix together:
2c flour
2t. baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Cut 5-6 T unsalter butter into flour until largest pieces are the size of peas

Add all at once:
3/4 c buttermilk

Mix with wooden spoon until dry ingredients are moist. With a floured hand, gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl. Knead just a bit on flour board and pat dough down gently to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter and place on baking sheet. Brush Biscuits with milk. Bake until golden brown on top and bottom, 10-12 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, lovely. They remind me of my mom's towering buttermilk biscuits. I'd eat the top and bottom first and save the squishy middle for last.

Amy said...

That is a gorgeous biscuit!

Melanie Turner said...

I have never seen biscuits so big and fluffy! They look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. First time making biscuit s from scratch and this is a keeper ♥

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-