- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Big Fat Greek Salad


I'm trying to think of someplace in Chicago I go for a greek salad. I'm sure there are many places that make a good one, but I can't think of one because usually I just eat this salad at home. I make greek salad for dinner often, especially around this time of year when tomatoes and cucumbers are cheap and good. What distinguishes a good greek salad for me? Greek feta cheese, kalamata olives, juicy tomatoes and a great vinaigrette. I like a tart blend of lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil. I don't want any sweetness, or mustardy...ness or any other flavors in the vinaigrette for a greek salad. Dried oregano is important though. If possible a pungent greek oregano is best. (I like Krinos brand, but I'm spoiled by a greek-owned market 2 blocks from my house.)


I could never call this salad a low carb dinner, because a necessary part is to serve crusty warm bread alongside. Then I rip off pieces of the bread and make little feta, onion and lettuce sandwiches from my salad bowl.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greek salad

(for two as a main course or four as a first course(from Fine Cooking 51))


Romaine lettuce chopped in large pieces
1 or 2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped into large dice
fresh mint leaves(optional)
4-5 oz feta cheese, cut into cubes to your liking
3 oz. black olives, pref. kalamata
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 t. fresh lemon juice
2 t red wine vinegar
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 t dried oregano
kosher salt, pepper
1 small cube of feta cheese from above
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mix together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and oregano to make a vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Put a small amount (1T) of the vinaigrette in a large salad bowl and add your cut up tomatoes, cucumber and onion. Allow the vegetables to marinate for a short time.
When you are ready to make the salad. Put your romaine lettuce in the bowl. Add one cube of feta to the remaining vinaigrette and mash with a fork. Pour over the lettuce and vegetables and toss. Add the rest of your salad ingredients (olives and feta cheese cubes) Garnish with fresh mint or lemon wedge if you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks good.

I just used the last of my feta in a rissoto experiment. Wish I had waited until I visit here.

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-