- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Monday, October 08, 2007

Have a Bite's Been Busy

Which is not to say Have a Bite has not been cooking, just that I've been too busy to write about it. So to summarize my recent activites... Firstly, from Simple to Spectacular, I made the Spinach Cannelloni. A cannelloni is an egg noodle pasta sheet rolled around a filling topped with cheese and baked. Sounds good, doesn't it? Truth be told, this recipe was neither simple nor spectacular. I bought the pasta sheets and they were delicious. The cannelloni rolls got slightly crispy on top as they baked but still stayed tender and soft inside. Unfortunately this spinach filling was really dull (pretty much, just seasoned spinach.) I will, however, experiment with the genre of cannelloni again because the dish holds promise. I know I could improve on that spinach filling, it was screaming for some ricotta cheese. This recipe was one of the first major disappointments that I've had with Jean Georges Vongerichten's book.

Another fun thing I've made a whole bunch of times lately is this little portabella number.




All credit goes to Whole Foods for this idea. I saw this simple creation in the deli case for something outrageous like $9.99 lb. The portabella mushroom is roasted or grilled, then topped with goat cheese. The cheese is allowed to warm up (in the oven, or briefly on the grill). Before serving, the mushroom is topped with slow-roasted cherry tomatoes and some garden basil that is still holding strong, thanks to global warming. It is really delicious and makes a lovely presentation when served over a plate of baby spinach dressed with a vinaigrette.


For the brief time that the weather hinted toward fall, I snuck in a chance to braise some Short Ribs with Asian Flavors . The recipe is from issue 77. Molly Stevens of Fine Cooking is the author. It uses a double flavor treatment of a rub and an intense braising liquid (that includes beer) that infuses the ribs with asian flavors and aroma. If you cook this with the windows open, your neighbors will be snooping around trying to find out where that wonderful smell is coming from! I hope the link to the recipe works. Fine Cooking has started a subscription service for access to their complete library of recipes. Some are still free though. Dear husband loves this dish and I do too. The rich meaty short ribs meld with the soy and ginger/garlic flavors. It is a luscious combination. I love to serve sauteed baby bok choy with these tender ribs. If you've never had beef short ribs, they're nothing like other ribs. These are more rich and soft tender like a pot roast, with meat falling off the bone.



Also of late, I've become quite enamored with my panini maker, which I got for a certain, ahem, significant birthday. I'm not much for appliances that take up room on a counter, but this panini maker is worth it. It can transform the most mundane of leftovers and it inspires creativity. Here's a leftover chicken breast transformed into a crusty panini with slow-roasted cherry tomatoes, spinach and provolone (aka the Chicken Pomodori Panini from Corner Bakery)


That will have to be all for now. Have a Bite still has more to catch up on, but this was a good start.



4 comments:

Sheri said...

I don't cook from it very often either, but everything I've made from Simple to Spectacular has been good. too bad this one wasn't a winner, although your canelloni look really good!

Toni said...

What have you made? I'd love to compare notes with you. The next one I want to try is the mushroom springrolls made with filo.

Amy said...

Sheri gave that book to me! I need to look back and see what I've made from it.

I remember being interested in that short rib recipe. Sounds like I need to get it done.

And my goodness, does that panini ever look good!

Blue Zebra said...

The short ribs look heavenly! Nice write-up and glad you are back to posting. I've missed reading of your adventures in food!

BZ

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-