- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Friday, December 07, 2007

About a girl and a recipe


I clipped this recipe for Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Soup out of a newspaper a long time ago. And while looking through my files, it struck me as something that sounded good at the moment. Instead of making a shopping list, I decided to bring the clipping with me to the grocery to purchase all the ingredients. So what do you know? Between the store and home, the small clipping somehow disappeared and I was left with ingredients but no direction. A quick google gave me nothing. Then I realized that you spell caramelized like this and not carmelized. And that realization gifted me with Marthdex, a site that indexes the recipes and articles of Martha Stewart Living magazine. I found that a recipe with that name could be found in the Dec. 2000 issue of MSL. And here's where is gets really amazing, I promptly went down to my basement and found Dec. 2000. Yes, me, of 2 trillion magazines, put my hand on a 7-yr old issue without cursing, sweating or ripping down stacks of magazines. It was a zen moment that I will savor and I took it as a sign that my luck had changed. The recipe ingredients, including the amounts, looked similar to the clipped recipe, but not exact. But surely the author of my clipped recipe had adapted it from the Martha recipe or vice versa. Anyway, I knew I could follow the bones of this recipe and make my soup. All turned out well. The soup has dried porcinis and fresh creminis, 3 onions caramelized for an hour until they are so so sweet, toasted orzo pasta and some chicken broth. It is savory delicious, expecially coming in from the cold in Chicago in December. Warms you right to the bone. A goat cheese crouton was served alongside to substantiate our dinner.

No comments:

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-