- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Thursday, December 06, 2007

El Cubano


The Cuban Pork Sandwich is held in highest regard in this household. It is one of those foods that becomes more than the sum of its parts. Pork loin (sliced from a roast,) ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and garlicky spread or mojo sauce are all smashed between a crusty loaf and toasted until crispy outside and melty inside. It makes for some fine eating. Especially with a beer, dear husband wants to add. Our favorite recipe comes from Bruce Aidells Complete Meat Cookbook. But Fine Cooking has a version in their current issue so naturally we had to give it a go. It proved to be good, but not as good as Aidells'. The Aidells recipe includes thinly sliced tomatoes and onions and I think that is why I enjoy it more. I like his mojo sauce more too.
Speaking of Cuban Pork Sandwiches, check out Hungry Magazine's review of El Cubanito, located in Logan Square (2555 N. Pulaski,) and their Cubano.

1 comment:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Hi, your sandwich looks delish!! I've had these before and they are really good. I also wanted to say Hi, I'm also a fellow Chi town foodie!

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-