- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Buttermilk Panna Cotta


When I saw this blog post for Buttermilk Panna Cotta at Alexandra's Kitchen, I knew I would give it a try. She explains it's a great way to use up buttermilk sitting in your fridge. And I happen to always have buttermilk in my fridge. I'll buy it for biscuits and pancakes and other miscellany. But I never seem to use it all before it is past date. She also calls it the simplest dessert ever. It is easy to put together but you still have to wait for it to set and that requires some advance thought so it isn't an impromptu dessert. Plus you do have to be one of those mildly crazy people who would have powdered gelatin on hand. I happen to be one of them. I can't remember why I would have purchased it. I figure at one point, I planned to make panna cotta and never did. I have many misfit ingredients from recipes that I never actually got around to making. It's a shortcoming but it can work in my favor too. Like pulling a rabbit from a hat, I'll can sometimes come up with just the item I need from the depths of my cupboards.


A peach compote seemed like it would compliment a buttermilk panna cotta nicely. And I had some frozen peaches in my freezer. Why? I can't say. But I put them on the stove with some sugar and spice, cooked them down and let them cool. Anyway, the panna cotta is good. But to be honest, I don't really love the tang of buttermilk here. I would prefer a panna cotta made with voluptuous cream if I'm going to bother with this dessert. But if your looking to use up some buttermilk and you have a taste for dessert, this is your ticket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, panna cotta! I haven't made it with buttermilk but I agree, cream sounds better. However, I've got a recipe for a buttermilk-based ice cream that I've been wanting to make.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I think it's a great use for leftover buttermilk, cauce I'm exactly like you and always have a little left in my frig. I don't think I'd mind the tang, but I'll have to try it. It's alot lower in calories than cream, so it will be a good alternative!

Toni said...

Sheri, buttermilk icecream sounds fantastic, especially with blueberries or blackberries.

PIC, the lower cal. factor was definitely on my mind when I decided to make this. And it tastes pretty good, but the original is better.

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-