- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baked Egg Rolls


I know I've been a bit delinquent in my posting as of late (Whew! almost a month.) There's been a lot going on with family birthdays and big homework assignments and I just don't get a chance to write. I'm always cooking but sometimes I get in a groove where I don't have time to try new recipes so I don't feel there's much to write about.

But tonight I did try something new and blog-worthy! It's these Baked Egg Rolls from Cooking Light's website. I don't know how I came across these but I can assure you I wasn't looking for egg rolls. I wouldn't have considered making egg rolls at home. But I read over this recipe and the reviews and it seemed like such a nifty idea, that well, you know.

I didn't follow this recipe as written. What ended up coming together was the basic idea of making an easy filling, rolling and spraying the wraps with oil and then blasting them in a hot oven until crispy brown. Since the recipe makes 14 servings, I just improvised on the proportions of the filling to make a much smaller batch (5.) To simplify things, I left out the meat entirely. From reviewers suggestions, I used bagged cole slaw and zipped it in the food processor to make it a little finer. I sauteed onion, ginger and garlic, mixed it all together in the pan with the slaw, some soy sauce and a hit of oyster sauce (because reviewer said the filling was a little flat. I also increased the proportion of garlic and ginger for the same reason) The filling was cooled and the rolls wrapped and cooked as per instructions.

I made the dipping sauce too but with some added chile. These turned out great. They get satisfyingly crispy but aren't oily at all. And they're a little chewy on the bottom where they touch the hot pan, but that's not a bad thing, especially if the alternative is the deep-fryer.

I served these as a side to our dinner of Spicy Szechwan Shrimp, which, looking back, I can't believe I haven't yet shared the recipe. I have given you the Shrimp with Spicy Orange Sauce if you're looking to do a good stir-fry.

No comments:

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-