- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Grilled Peach Salad


Nothing ground breaking here. Just a reminder that summer fruit can add easy elegance to a salad, especially when paired with a tangy goat cheese or a rich blue. Here I grilled some peaches only enough to get marks but not enough to "cook" them. (I find it easy to do this using my cast iron grill pan where I can keep a close eye on them.) I tossed them with some toasted pecans, crumbled goat cheese, bacon and a champagne vinaigrette for a delicious little salad with a southern twist. You could skip the grilling and the salad would still be fantastic.

Other good combinations? Strawberries, Spinach and slivered almonds. Apples, walnuts, gruyere or other cheese. Raspberries with greens and a raspberry vinaigrette. Figs, Arugula, proscuitto, and shaves of parmaggiano. Figs or dates and blue cheese and perhaps hazelnuts. (?)

Don't forget the bacon or proscuitto when dreaming up combinations. The salty bits make the fruit all the more sweet and we all know about the bacon and cheese, Mmmmm.

Just think of a background of greens (perhaps on the bitter side: arugula, frisee or just baby greens or baby spinach) a little meat for salt, fruit for sweet, nuts for crunch, cheese for a creamy foil and a tart vinaigrette to brighten it all up. Then you'll have the perfect salad.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Yum, I love grilled fruit!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Toni, Your salad looks so good I might just have to whip this up with the 4 peaches that I have on my counter!

- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-