- -
-
- - -
-
-
-
-
-

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Squash Ravioli with Sherried Onion Sauce, Walnuts and Cranberries


Butternut squash ravioli is a favorite of mine and I'd eat it once a week if it weren't for the butter or cream-based sauce that usually tops it. So when I purchased some ravioli the other day, I went in search of a lighter alternative. This sauce is from Fine Cooking issue 35. The recipe includes instructions for making the ravioli too. But I think you can find really good quality frozen ravioli in the market so I used those and picked up on the recipe with the sauce. The ravioli I used are the 365 brand from Whole Foods.

I stock sherry in my fridge because I use it quite a bit with asian cooking. If you need to buy sherry, pick a dry one. It isn't expensive and will last a long time in your fridge. You'll detect no boozy flavor in the sauce once you cook it down, but there is a warm sweetness from the sherry and the long-cooked onions. The sauce does use some cream or you can make it with stock alone. I used mostly stock and finished with a splash of cream. The toasted walnuts and tart cranberries add texture and zing.

This is a really good recipe and one perfectly suited to a weeknight if you buy the ravioli. Take your time with the onions, low and slow as they say.

If the link won't give you the recipe (some are free access, some aren't) you can always e-mail me.
- -
- - -
Made by Lena
-